Saturday, July 18, 2009

7/18 Mitchell to Sioux Falls, SD.

 

If your objective is just to ride a bike’ today was almost perfect - smooth roads, pleasant temperature, slight wind, little traffic. What more could you want? Well, maybe scenery. Very little to see or to photograph. I thought of producing a video showing corn growing but there are more states to conquer so I can’t stay and watch corn. --- One thing I have noticed, and it was very noticeable yesterday as I rode an unofficial route through residential streets in Mitchell from the Corn Palace to the motel, is the towns no longer feel western. I’m not sure why; maybe it’s the trees in the towns. But whatever it is, they’re feeling more like what I think of as main-stream America.

     25 Sioux J (2)     25 Sioux J (3)

         

Tomorrow being a lay-over day (What will I do in Sioux Falls, SD? – particularly since the laundry is done and the bike has been cleaned), it is the end of a segment and the beginning of a new segment. I know we’re losing 4 riders and picking up about the same number. There are a lot of people who can’t afford the time to ride across America in one year, so they do it a little at a time. Personally, I would not feel satisfied doing it this way. I’m glad I’m doing the whole thing, R.E.F.I.

24 Mitchell J (8)The six international riders add a lot to the ride. I find Liz from the U.K. interesting because she is a non-cyclist – hasn’t ridden since her childhood and didn’t own a bike. Her Husband Howie (shown on the left of the photo) and his cycling buddy Richard decided they wanted to do this ride. Howie said “I need to get permission from Liz.” When he asked, she said “Yes.” and then added “And I want to go too.” So Howie bought her a bike and developed a training program for her about a year ago. So here she is, a 63 year old non-cyclist, riding across the U.S. I asked her the other day if she regretted it and she said “Absolutely not. There have been some difficult days but I’m enjoying it.” The moral of this story is that most people reading this blog could ride across the country if they decided they wanted to. Yes, you!

Day 27, 72 miles, 695 feet climbed, 4.7 hrs. 2,052 miles so far

23 days remaining, 1,640 miles remaining

No comments:

Post a Comment