Friday, July 3, 2009

7/03 Twin Falls to Burley, Id.

 

Re Nick injuring himself yesterday, there is one good aspect of this – he has travel insurance. So, in addition to covering his injuries, he will be reimbursed for the rest of the trip.

Today is a short day so we have our latest start ever, 8:30. This allows me to find a cappuccino. --The road is good again today, much of it on I84 access road which is smooth, about 20 yards from the freeway, very little traffic and not much debris. -- Again, it’s mostly an agricultural area.

We’re leaving Twin Falls, but haven’t seen the falls. We have two opportunities today and most of us take to detour to the first, Shshone Falls. To get there we have a big descent, 400 feet in less than a mile with 6 and 7% grades. I dread the return trip but find the climb back was very easy; I didn’t use my granny gear and wasn’t breathing hard. Am I getting stronger? -- The detour to the falls was really worth it – see photos.

               11 Burley J (10)    11 Burley J (6)

     11 Burley J (3)     11 Burley J (5)

We had a Scavenger Hunt on the ride today. I wasn’t going to play but joined a team at the last minutes – and we won first place. We got an extra point for presentation – when the item was “band aid” – ours was on my right rear cheek – Maureen pulled down my shorts to display it! Our prize is pretty good; we get to go to the beginning of any line for the next week.

Mike had a seminar today on cleaning and maintaining your drive chain which was pretty interesting. Early rise tomorrow – breakfast at 5:50 and luggage at 6:00 – we have a 110 mile day for the Fourth of July.

Day 12, 44 miles, 1,492 feet of climbing, 3.3 hrs

38 days to go, 851 miles so far, 2,831 miles to go

No comments:

Post a Comment