Saturday, July 11, 2009

7/11 Casper to Lusk, Wy.

 

For the bike techies out in blog-land I had my second flat yesterday when I rode over a large piece of metal. Also, I had my chain replaced today; it had 3,700 miles on it.

     18 Lusk J (5)     18 Lusk J (6)

     18 Lusk J (8)     18 Lusk J (9)

Today’s ride was really two rides. The morning ride was mostly on low traffic roads (You have to forget the 15 miles on the interstate) and with a tailwind! Everyone was flying and feeling strong. Then, after lunch, we had lots of traffic and headwind! We no longer felt strong and invincible.

As I type this there is all sorts of noise outside – a parade with horses, collectors cars, etc. And every emergency vehicle in Lusk County is driving by with their sirens on.

Back to today’s rides. They had one thing in common, a totally boring, vast and ugly landscape.

     18 Lusk M (86)    

I started riding with the Tasmania-Trinidad group but this group fell apart on the first big hill. Sarge and Doc, both from Trinidad, stopped and waited for the others but I went on. Later, near the first SAG stop, John, Bill and Bud came up and invited me to join them. At the second stop, Anne joined us. It was not always a disciplined pace line, primarily because John & Bud are at least 2 mph stronger than the rest of us. The group would fall apart and then re-group; we did come into town together.

The headwinds seemed to get stronger by the hour; we were glad we got to the motel a little after 2:30. The slower riders must have had a more difficult time. If you’re not into parades, there is not much to do in Lusk. Jim, the mechanic, is very busy. There must be 10 people lined up for repairs. I got my chain replaced early because I made an appointment earlier in the day. So far, my bike has required no repairs; everything is working like a Swiss clock.

I don’t know much about tomorrow’s ride other than it is 93 miles with about the same amount of climbing as today. But I do know we leave Wyoming; I can’t wait to get out of this wasteland.

Day 20, 106 miles, 1,780 feet climbed, 1,481 miles so far

30 days remaining, 2,207 miles remaining

No comments:

Post a Comment