Thursday, July 16, 2009

7/16 Pierre to Chamberlain, SD.

 

We had some decent scenery as we left Pierre and as we approached Chamberlain; both provided by the Missouri River. And there was a little – very little – variety as we saw more farming, including corn. But mostly it is an empty land. This is a sparsely settled country. --- As the miles rolled on, again a single road most of the day, with little to catch your attention, your eyes focus on the road ahead of you. I’m pretty sure I was close to being hypnotized. I can even imaging falling asleep at the wheel. --- But what kept you awake, and in misery most of the day, was the rough road surface. Not a continuous high frequency roughness like Texas’ chip seal roads, but breaks in the pavement, frost heaves I assume, that shake your bike and rattle your bones continuously. They’re one to three bike lengths apart; some minor but many the size of your arm and they will jolt you unmercifully. I began to worry about my wheels. How can they stand up to this continuous pounding? At one point near the end of the ride, on a steep descent, the jolting was so bad it scared me. I started jumping the bike over the bumps, but this can’t be good for the wheels, so I applied the brakes and wasted the down-hill momentum.

     23 Chaimberlain J     23 Chaimberlain J (3)

Dinner conversation: A week or so ago, in Wyoming, everyone was talking about looking forward to South Dakota. After a few days in South Dakota, everyone is looking forward to Minnesota. Last night someone said: “We’ll see things there – like trees and houses and churches.”

            23 Chamberlain M (36)

                          

I probably rode with Bill Borland (above) from Tucson more than any other rider.

Today marked the half-way point of the ride. We “celebrated” it at the first rest stop (which was probably 15 miles shy of the actual mid-point). Thoughts on the first half:

  1. I can’t believe it’s half over. ‘Seems like it started just yesterday.
  2. It’s been much easier than I imagined. Basically no aches, no pain (except for saddle sores); I recover quickly each evening.
  3. And, the second half should be easier, weather permitting. (NO RAIN SO FAR!)

Day 25, 84 miles, 1,802 feet climbing, 6.5 hrs. 1,907 miles so far

25 days remaining, 1,782 miles to go

No comments:

Post a Comment