Saturday, June 27, 2009

6/27 John Day to Baker City, Or.

Six days and still in Oregon; a day and a half more and we’re in Idaho.

This is going to be a difficult day, especially after yesterday. There are three climbs, all steeper than the two yesterday. It’s “only” 80 miles, but many riders probably haven’t recovered from yesterday.

Once again the weather is great, 40’s to 80’s and not a cloud in the sky.

By the first stop, we’re back in the forest in Malheur National Forest. We stay in the forest until close to Baker City. Also at the first rest stop we finally turn off highway 26 and on to highway 7, a much better cycling road.

   06 Baker City M (2)        06 Baker City M (5)

Anne’s knee is still bothering her; Nick has stomach problems (but still rode) and I believe someone else was in the van. I saw two guys walking the first hill, and it was the easiest. Most of today’s climbing was 4 to 5%, although there was some 6% going to Dixie Mt. Summit, 7 % to Tipton Mt. Summit and 9 % to Snall Summit. I did not use the granny gear at all, but maybe I should have.

   06 Baker City M (6)       06 Baker City M (21)

In six days of cycling I think maybe 5 or 6 dogs have barked at me; none gave chase.

I’ve basically been riding alone. Every time I think I’ve found someone who rides at my speed, either I drop them or, more likely, he/they drop me. But riding alone doesn’t bother me.

    06 Baker City M (28)        06 Baker City M (82)

Unlike yesterday, I was tired today. The last twenty miles were difficult. My hands hurt, my arms hurt, my shoulders hurt and my butt sure did hurt. Legs were tired and quads tight. ‘Got some sunburn on my legs. Tomorrow is supposedly an easier day and I need it.

Day 6, 81 miles, 4,272 feet climbed, 6.6 hrs

500 miles so far, 3,162 miles to go, 44 days to go

“In previous wanderings through America I often wondered why I seldom saw truckers reading newspapers when they stopped for meals and now I know the answer. The highway is a cocoon and life beyond it does not seem too much matter, The highway has its own rhythms, its own inhabitants, its own code of behavior. It is a world into itself, egalitarian and isolated, and to be a citizen of it one has to have only the need to keep moving.” -- OVER THE HILLS by David Lamb

No comments:

Post a Comment