Sunday, June 21, 2009

6/21 Astoria

 

Yesterday afternoon those of us eager-beavers assembled our bikes. This was an event scheduled for today. A few, like me, did it totally myself; most let an ABB mechanic do it for them (see photo). I passed the bike inspection and helmet inspection with flying colors. ‘Learned that Jeanie, the lady who we gave a ride to yesterday, does not know how to change a flat tire. Apparently, she’s not alone because ABB has tire-changing workshops scheduled.

01 St Helens J (3)

01 St Helens M (12)

It seems fitting to begin the ride where Lewis and Clark ended their Westward exploration. They had traveled 4,132 miles in 554 days and learned first hand about weather West of the Cascades: in the winter of 1805, it rained on them 52 out of 57 days they were here. Weather looks good here today although there is 40% chance of participation. Tomorrow’s forecast is better and in only three days we’ll be over the cascades and into the high desert where the average rainfall is 12 inches.

01 St Helens M (14)             01 St Helens J (5)

An hour after writing the last paragraph “weather looks good”, I’m on the bike heading toward the Pacific Ocean – in the rain. Oh well, it’s a light rain. The sun comes out momentarily when I reach the coast. I run into 5 other ABB riders so have someone to take my picture at the ocean.

Astoria/Warrentown is the oldest American settlement west of the Mississippi. American is the key word here; I’m sure San Antonio is much older.

01 St Helens M (16)              01 St Helens J (10)

Today from 3:00 to 6:00 we met as a group for the first time for an orientation. There are 51 riders going all the way and another 20 doing a segment (8 or 9 days). There are three riders from England, one from Tasmania, Australia and two from Trinidad, West Indies. Although most of us are newbie's, one guy has ridden cross-country three times. The average age is 58. I am the only rider from Texas and there are none from the adjacent states (NM, Ok, LA, AK). Twelve of the 50 are females which is a much lower percent than usual. From the brief introductions, it seems like a really neat group with great sense of humors*. The most interesting was a short, small guy from New Jersey, an 80-year old former professor and concert violinist who sang a little song for us. Photo above in red jacket.  It will be fun getting to know him.

* Sample humor: One guy said, "Today I dipped my wheel in the Pacific. All I have to do now is dip it in the Atlantic. 'Appears I'm half-way done." - or - "For the first time in 10 years, my wife isn't here to tell me where to go. So I'll probably be lost most of the time." I wonder who said that.

No comments:

Post a Comment