Monday, June 22, 2009

6/22 Astoria to St. Helens, Or

 

The ride begins. At the orientation yesterday, Mike said “After this ride, you’ll have a different perspective on life and a different perspective on this country.” We’ll see.

Today’s route will be easy to follow: “Turn left from the Holiday Inn on to highway 30. 69 miles later, turn right into the Best Western.” Well, it’s not quite that easy because we have to find 2 rest stops and at least sign in so that the AABB staff can keep track of us. But still, it’s pretty easy (except for those two big hills) as we follow the Columbia River upstream. Did Lewis and Clark return this way? Or is this where they split up? I don’t remember. But their navigation would have been a bit more difficult; they didn’t have GPS.

01 St Helens M (17)             02 Welches M (43)

After loading the luggage and breakfast, all done in 45 minutes, we have a group photo and are off. Adrenalin is running and the hammer-heads always sprint away, both of which can result in crashes. I want none of that so hang around until I think most everyone has left. I only see a few riders on the first leg and they all pass me. Five miles into the ride I see a gal with the first flat. At mile 12 the leader Mike passes me. Is he riding sweep and am I the last one on the road? When I check in at the first rest stop, mile 28, I see that about 3/4’s of the riders are ahead of me. On the second segment I ride with small groups but either I drop them or the drop me. At the second stop, mile 48, it looks like 1/2 of the riders are ahead of me. At the end of the ride, less then 1/4 are ahead of me. Since I haven’t passed dozens of riders, I’m not sure how this happened. But I arrive at the hotel at 1:15. Five minutes earlier and I’d be helping unload the luggage van.

02 Welches               02 Welches M (74)

The ride up the Columbia River Gorge was not the best ride I’ve been on. We’re on highway 30 all day and traffic, particularly truck traffic, is constant. There is a shoulder but it’s sometimes very narrow. You can guarantee that 18-wheelers will pass you (very close) when you’re on the narrow stretches. Fortunately, the entire ride will not be like this.

Day 1, 70 Miles, 2800 Feet, 5.0 Hrs.

70 Miles so far, 3560 Miles to go, 49 Days to go

"There is no moment of delight in any pilgrimage like the beginning of it."-- Charles Dudley Warner

No comments:

Post a Comment