Wednesday, June 17, 2009

My Bike

 

A big decision: which bike will I take? I’m fortunate in having two bikes that I really like.

• An Independent Fabrication Club Racer (shown on the right).  This is a semi-touring bike with very low mountain-bike gears.

A Seven Elium SG (shown on left) which is a “pure” road bike with fairly normal gears.

Bike 1

 Bike 2

 

 

 

 

 

Purely by coincidence, both bikes are custom made in Massachusetts. The IF is made from steel; the Seven is a combination of titanium and carbon fiber and is at least 3.5 pounds lighter. But does the Seven have gears low enough to get me over 4 mountain ranges?

My friends recommend the Seven so I develop a plan. I’ll take the Seven to California and Washington in May for the two tours. If I find the gears are not low enough, I’ll modify them before the cross-country tour. (Result of the test: They were low enough; I’m taking it as is.)

Bike 3Although I’ve been “fitted” on these bikes and I’m pretty comfortable on them, Richardson Bike Mart owner Jim Hoyt offered to “make sure I’m dialed in” with a free computerized Retul fit. See video on RUTUL at http://www.retul.com/ for more information. Or look at the short video of me here. As a result of the fit, the pedals are moved out a bit (left more than right) and the break/shifter levers are re-positioned.

I now know I fit the bike; I’ve have major service performed on the bike – so if there is any problem, it’s got to be the engine!

No comments:

Post a Comment