Tuesday, June 16, 2009

My Ride Across America

 

In the early 1970’s I met the Siple’s and Burden’s who were planning the first cross-country bicycle route (see June 14 blog), Bikecentennial. So I knew about the cross-country route early on. I’ve always had an interest in cycling across the country, but it was never a practical thing to consider. Even in retirement, it was not a priority.

Sure, Brenda and I talked to cycling friends about doing it. At one point, several of us even agreed to do it together, on our own, in 2006. Other friends, like Rick & Kay Watson, thought it would be much better to go with an organized group. Kay said, “If you’re on your own, you won’t ride when it’s raining or if the wind is blowing too hard. You need the discipline that an organized ride imposes.”

My requirements were: (1) motels, not camping and (2) a van to transport my luggage.

(3) A northern route, preferably East to West.

Which way? East to West: (1) you get to see the country the way it was developed. (2) Since you ride a lot early in the morning, the sun is at your back. Most commercial companies, however, choose the West to East route because: (1) It is believed that the prevailing winds favor this direction. (2) The most difficult mountains, the Allegheny’s, come late in the trip after “you’re strong”.

Another choice is Southern, Central or Northern route? To me, this is a no-brainer; I want a cool Northern route. Nothing worse than riding across Kansas in July.

With all of these factors included, I fairly quickly choose America by Bicycle. I liked their philosophy and I liked their Northern route. Also, I have several friends who have gone on their rides and they came highly recommended.

So, the die is cast. The America By Bicycle Northern route: 3,629 miles, riding 45 out of 50 days and averaging 80 miles per day. I’ll get to see “close up” Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Ontario, New York, Vermont and New Hampshire. The 3,600 mile route is 66% more miles than the 2009 Tour de France! Where is Lance when you need him?

No comments:

Post a Comment