Friday, August 7, 2009

8/07 Little Falls to Latham, NY.

 

As predicted, we climb out of town gaining maybe 300 feet by mile 8. Ahhh, vistas – valleys. I didn’t realize how much I missed the hills. Maybe that’s what made the central part of the U.S. boring – no hills. --- I’m coming down a long hill on route 5S when I see some machine ahead blowing smoke or something. When I get close I realize it’s a street sweeper, clearing the shoulder. SO THAT’S WHY NEW YORK’S ROAD SHOULDERS ARE SO CLEAN – they sweep them! Can we have some stimulus money for the other 49 states? -- By the way, 5S is also NY bike route 5; we ride it a long time today through towns like Ft. Plains, Canajoharie, Fultonville, Amsterdam, and Rotterdam Junction. It’s a great cycling road.

         42 Latham J     42 Latham J (2)

     42 Latham J (7)     42 Latham J (8)

The group comes across an Amish family having a bake sale by the side of the road. Everyone stops and shops. As I get there and park my bike, Gordon hands me a plate of cinnamon buns, 3 gone but three still there. I ate one and gave the others away. Others bought cookies, bread and pies. The family did very well by us.

     42 Latham M (70)     42 Latham M (77)

We’re on bike paths twice today but they’re all paved. Mostly they go along the Mohawk River. We’ve been following the river since mid-day yesterday, probably a total of 125 miles. Most of the time we can’t see the river, which is part of the Erie Canal. We did stop today to watch the operation of one of the locks on the canal.

Today is probably the most significant day of the tour; the last day I have to wash clothes!

Day 47, 75 miles, 2,112 feet climbed, 5.2 hrs. #,540 miles so far

3 days remaining, 227 miles remaining

No comments:

Post a Comment