Sunday, August 2, 2009

8/02 Brantford, Ontario to Niagara Falls, NY.

 

I start this blog “not a happy camper.” For the past 40+ days, when we arrive at our motel – no matter how early – the rooms have been ready. Pretty amazing. But the Quality Inn here in Niagara Falls was different; my room wasn’t ready. I finally got it about 3:00 and went into the bath to clean up – no towels, no wash clothes, no bath mats. I went to the maids in the hall and they had none. I called the desk to complain and am waiting. --- By the way, for those of you who haven’t been to Niagara Falls, there is a stark difference between the Canadian side and the US side. The Canadian side has parks, stone walls, streets with pavers, traffic cops, and other facilities of a civilized city. The U.S side, on the other hand, is sleazy, an embarrassment in my opinion.

            

We had intermittent showers this morning. I had my rain jacket on and off 2 or 3 times. But the rain never was heavy. I didn’t see any vineyards but the farms seemed to be all small as compared to those we’ve been seeing. We came across some pretty nice country homes. We also travelled on a few pretty steep hills, with grades from 10 to 13 percent.

     38 Niagara Falls J (4)     38 Niagara Falls J (11)

Crossing the Rainbow Bridge back into the U.S.A. wasn’t as good as going into Canada; we had to queue up behind the cars and essentially walked over the bridge but it went fairly quickly considering the bumper-to-bumper traffic. When we arrived at customs, there were 8 or 10 of us behind a couple of cars, the officer called all of us over and we got through quickly without any questions. Apparently others weren’t as lucky and had to answer several questions.

Sill no towels so I think I’ll change into my street clothes and see if I can find a bottle of wine.

Day 42, 75 miles, 1,079 feet climbing, 5.3 hrs. #,179 miles so far

8 days remaining, 564 miles remaining

No comments:

Post a Comment